Yield: 4 servings
- ½ tsp Dan-D-Pak Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Dan-D-Pak Ground Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Dan-D-Pak Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Dan-D-Pak Soup Mix
- Water (enough to cover by 2 inch) or Stock
- 1 bulb roasted garlic, cloves squeezed out
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Slice the top of each bulb of garlic to expose the cloves, and lay them cut side up in a baking dish, or simply put it in a tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until cloves are tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
The buttery flesh of the cloves will come out of the bulb easily when you squeeze it (throw out the papery skin of the bulb).
In a small pan, toast the cinnamon, cloves and cumin until very fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes, set aside.
In a medium-sized pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions until translucent.
Add carrots, bay leaf, ginger with the toasted cinnamon, cloves and cumin and sauté about 2 minutes. Add dry soup mix and add enough water to cover by 2 inches and cook 30 to 45 minutes, or until the lentils are completely soft, add more water if desired.
Stir in the apple cider vinegar, roasted garlic and cilantro.
Season with salt and pepper, serve hot.