Chinese New Year Almond Cookies
Yield: about 25 cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup DDPK almond meal
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup DDPK sliced blanched almond
- ½ cup butter or margarine, soften
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing
- Whole almonds, decoration
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, salt and sliced almond.
- Rub butter into flour to form a fine crumble. Add in egg white and almond extract. Knead gently together, being careful not to over mix.
- Lightly floured the table, place dough on it, and sprinkle a little more flour on top. Then roll it out to a thickness of about 1/4-inch disc. Cut into shapes, transfer to prepared pan, and brush tops with egg yolk. Place an almond on top of each cookie and press down to flatten slightly.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes, or until cookies are golden. Remove to a rack to cool.