Apple Pie with Oatmeal Pie Crest
Yield: one pie, about 8 servings
- 3 cups DDPK rolled oats
- 3/4 cup pastry flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 9 Tablespoons butter, cubes
- ¾ cup water, plus 1 Tablespoon if needed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 7 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon DDPK cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- Whipping cream or ice-cream to serve
- PIE CRUST: In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour and sugar, blend well. Add in butter, mix well. Add water, mix until dough holds together. Add a bit more water if needed. Divide dough in half, flatten each half into a disk, and roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface until you have a circle that’s about 12 inches in diameter. Put the circle in a 9″ pie plate, trimming any extra dough from the edges with a sharp knife. Return it to the refrigerator until you are ready to make the pie. Add fillings. Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges together. Cut a couple slits in the top. Bake at 400oF for 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are tender. Serve warm with whipping cream or ice cream.
- FILLING: Heat butter in a skillet, stir in apples, and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and apple juice. Cook until juice is absorbed. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust.